Gavin Shoebridge – an electric vehicle nut, a keen environmentalist

Electric Car Conversion Blog By Gavin Shoebridge

January 6th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Really Simple Guide to Radiation Levels in µSv/h and mSv/h

If it starts showing this sort of reading, put on your jogging shoes...

If it starts showing this sort of reading, put on your jogging shoes...

How much radiation is too much? What level is considered safe?

Radiation levels can be a very complicated thing to figure out, with alpha, beta, and gamma rays to understand. I won’t go into details, or you’ll have 10 pages of reading to do, so I’ll just post a chart of what levels of radiation are safe to live in - and when it’s time to start running!

So, here’s a simple, plain-English chart of radiation doses in millisieverts (mSv/h) and microsieverts (µSv/h) per hour. Most dosimeters (the handheld Geiger counters that measure your body’s “Dose”) operate in these units.

Simplified hourly dosage rates

Simplified hourly dosage rates

It’s quite a simplified chart, and it helps to know that radiation gets more dangerous, the more your body gets. If you get a big amount of radiation in an hour, it’s more hazardous than getting the same amount over an entire year. This chart is measured in an hourly dose, just like what your meter will probably show on the screen.

I hope it offers some help to those learning to use their radiation meters, and feel free to add more information in the comments below. There’s a very handy radiation level conversion site here too: http://www.radprocalculator.com/Conversion.aspx

* Please feel free to reuse this chart; just be sure to accredit my website.

Tags: , , , ,
  • Damcho Dronma
    7:46 pm on May 4th, 2012 1

it’s a good chart for simplying conversions; however it should be noted that The chart is handy for conversion, no doubt. However, there is no ‘safe’ level of radioactive exposure. There is always risk: all exposure a person receives, no matter how small, can lead to cancers or genetic damage or genetic damage to reproductive organs, therefore, to future generations. That’s why man-made radioactive product, through weapons, waste and even medical devices is something that should have ceased long ago. The overuse of medical use of radioactivity should be very strongly considered as it too is hazardous.

Bulletin of Atomic Scientists http://thebulletin.org/web-edition/op-eds/radiation-exposure-and-the-power-of-zero

• Ian
    3:12 am on November 16th, 2012 2

I’ve been looking for a table like this for ages, thanks. I live a couple of hundred km from fukushima so this is very helpful when considering the kids.

Cheers

• amit
    9:44 am on September 18th, 2013 3

Tnx for sharing such great information in brief. Its really help full for initial study about radiation.

• Roger
    2:54 pm on October 8th, 2013 4

Galvin, thank you for the table. Is there a dose rate meter in the price range of $150-$200 that you could recommend?

• gavin
    11:57 pm on October 8th, 2013 5

Hi Roger, you’re very welcome. I bought mine from eBay from a Russian seller. Unfortunately the good ones are not cheap. Mine is a Russian built dosimeter which cost something like $300 new if I remember correctly. I just had a look on ebay and found these however, which surprised me at how cheap they are: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=dosimeter&_sop=15
    Edit: Ah, those are electromagnetic radiation – something completely different. This looks acceptable, and is in your price range: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dosimeter-DOUBLE-SBM-20-new-generation-Radiation-detector-Geiger-Counter-/271293597983?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3f2a5bc91f

• cheryl
    4:51 pm on January 1st, 2014 6

I need to what a reading of 67mSv h means?
    I’m very concerned if I should move back to LA from SF and I’m bad at math. Anyone tell me is this a high reading please.

• Brandon
    1:01 pm on March 17th, 2014 7

This is a fantastic table for understanding radiation tables! Thank you for this and your nice explanation. I will definitely be showing this to my clients!

RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI